Join Me For Another 10 Weeks! This is the first week of ten weeks starting October 22, 2012

Hi folks! I'm at it again. I'm going for another 20 pound loss in ten weeks. I've recently had another baby, a little girl, she is now five months old and I'm ready to drop some weight.





Monday, June 21, 2010

The Salt Water Taffy Lesson...

Hi folks!

I'm feeling much better today. Thank you for all of your concern. A couple of our kids are still sick. Our five-year-old daughter Iris Anna who had resisted illness all weekend, looked like she was coming down with something tonight. And, our 4-year-old, is feverish tonight. Maybe he'll be better by tomorrow.

I opened up my bag of salt water taffy today and noticed that I had not thrown away the wrappers from the taffy that I had eaten on Saturday. So, I proceeded to count how many pieces of salt water taffy I had actually inhaled.

Can you guess? Take a wild guess...

And while you're thinking about that...I googled how many calories were in one piece of salt water taffy....44 calories a piece!

No way. There has to be some mistake. There isn't really that many calories in those little pieces is there? I mean just look at how small they are!

Well, I counted 14 wrappers. At 44 calories a piece...that's over 600 calories that I consumed rather quickly. Then, on top of that I ate some chicken noodle soup, 7-up and crackers, which probably added a few hundred more calories.

With my "touchy" stomach, no wonder it chucked up all that sugar. What would my body normally do with all that sugar anyway? Well, I got to see it first hand when it came back up and it was not a pretty sight.

It actually got me thinking about my food and got me looking at it in a different light, believe it or not. In the last few days, When I'd eat something I began looking at it in terms of, "I wonder what this would look like if I threw it up?"

Ok, so that might be gross, but with the entire family doing just that all weekend long, it was pretty hard to avoid the thought. But, seriously I wish I would have that perspective every time I was tempted to binge on a bad food.

It's too bad my body doesn't do what it should do, when I do eat bad food which is to kick it out of my body. It's too bad that I don't have some kind of reaction like what happened on Saturday which is where the bad food makes my stomach writhe in pain.

But, no, God made us stewards of our body. We're suppose to be watching what we eat. That's why we have free choice. The pain of "overeating" or eating bad choices is more subtle. It may be reduced energy or weight gain which affects are self-esteem that we feel instead of actual stomach pain.

Instead of guessing how many calories were in those pieces of candy (I think I guessed 15 calories a piece), I should have looked it up. If I had known there were that many...I don't think I would have eaten...as many.

So, I think I've learned my lesson. I've only had two pieces of salt water taffy today and that is where I will stop. In the meantime, I've been feeling good about all my other healthy choices today...

And...I'm also trying hard not to imagine what they look like once I've eaten them.

*Ahem*

But, besides all that I have some cool stuff to share with you all about I did last Friday. I'll do that tomorrow.

Have a good Tuesday!

Sincerely,
Sunshine Mama

4 comments:

  1. Glad you're feeling better. We are drawn to very different foods! I must be sweet enough already, or in this case, salty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had salt water taffy before. I think I will stay away to! Glad to hear that you are feeling better. I am thinking the baby wasn't digging 600 calories of sugar..lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure glad you are feeling better. My body rejects high fat and high sugar foods now that I don't eat them very often.

    That was a lot of calories for those 14 pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Calories
    A serving of three pieces of salt water taffy contains around 60 calories, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Carbohydrates make up 48 calories, while fats provide 10 calories and proteins deliver just 2 calories per serving.



    Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/310697-the-calories-in-salt-water-taffy/#ixzz2PF74PGWC

    ReplyDelete