Join Me For Another 10 Weeks! This is the first week of ten weeks starting October 22, 2012

Hi folks! I'm at it again. I'm going for another 20 pound loss in ten weeks. I've recently had another baby, a little girl, she is now five months old and I'm ready to drop some weight.





Saturday, January 29, 2011

Millet/Buckwheat Pancakes...Buckwheat Blueberry Muffins...And Fantastic Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins

Happy Saturday friends!

I hope you're weekend is going well. I've been having fun in the kitchen again this weekend. This was my breakfast this morning. I whipped up some Millet and Buckwheat pancakes from a recipe that I found online and then added my own extra ingredient...cinnamon.
Perfecto!
I ground up some millet to make flour...

And some buckwheat groats for more flour...
Altogether my recipe was this...
1/4 cup of millet flour
3/4 cup of buckwheat flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 egg
1 tablespoon of oil
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 cup of water
The batter ran perfectly.

I was able to make ten smaller sized pancakes that were around 60 calories a piece.
I loved the added cinnamon flavor .

The kiwi was a nice touch to the breakfast.
Then I found a recipe for buckwheat blueberry muffins that I doubled.
For a single batch:
1 cup of buckwheat flour
1/4 cup of flax meal (basically ground flax which you can get anywhere)
2 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil
2 eggs beaten
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 a cup of water
2 cups of blueberries (I just used one cup per batch and there was plenty)
Mix dry ingredients first and well, and then I add the wet.
I cooked it for about 20 minutes on 350.
These muffins didn't raise very high.
For having no sweetner added to this at all,
I was surprised at how good they tasted.
These muffins are just so healthy for you and
they ended up being a little over 100 calories per muffin.
See, they are smaller and tend to have a darker look to them.

These are a great snack!
I also made some muffins that would appeal to the vegans out there...Ahem, Sunshine Meg
This is basically the same blueberry muffin recipe that I made last week...
You know the one where the muffins raised real high because of the yeast?
Remember I said those tasted a little bland?
Well, this time...
instead of adding the 1/3 cup of honey and 2/3 cup of protein powder...
I added 1/2 cup of organic Agave syrup.
Then, instead of spelt...I used whole wheat flour...
I also only added one cup of blueberries instead of two
Even I am able to eat these muffins...
Which, of course, I did.
They were...SPECTACULAR!!
We have a winner, folks!
It must have been the agave that gave it such good flavor
I offered one to my husband...who is not a whole wheat flour fan...
It had just come out of the oven...
I put butter on it for him...
And he loved it and lauded it!
He goes, "You're learning!"
And I said, "Learning what?"
"How to cook good."
I also served them up to some guests tonight
who also thought they tasted awesome.
But, these muffins are tasty without putting anything on.
I am beginning to really enjoy making these yeast type of muffins.
They do take a little longer...but they are worth it.
The smells they make while baking are just wonderful...
And they are filling...which is a plus for a mom
who wants to make sure her kids have filling snacks.
I have ideas for using apples to make these muffins next.
Each muffin averaged around 155 calories.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I will use bread baking or muffin baking day as a way to experiment with new recipes and also to "carb -up" for my longer distance run, which was a five miler this afternoon.
I did flux up on the scale this morning by 4/10 a pound..
So now the loss is 7.6 pounds in almost four weeks.
But I think there is a definite trend of weight loss going on here,
so I'm happy about that.
Have a good one!
Sincerely,
Sunshine Mama

5 comments:

  1. The only thing I change on recipes is egg whites for eggs & applesauce for oil. I guess it's a small step towards healthier. I made peanut butter cookies & blueberry muffins yesterday. The cookies were a packaged mix & not anywhere as good as the ones from scratch. Funny thing is my daughter thinks they were good. Need to get the recipe from my mom & show here good!!lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're my hero! Thank you for just being YOU!

    I'm sitting on the couch in the condo in Florida and "sitting on the fence" as to what I want to do this morning.....

    Going to have a fruit smoothy in a few minutes - that I know for sure.....then.....um....supposed to do some kind of workout, I think.

    I WILL. Going to go get dressed right now...no excuses.....and I'll put on my workout duds, make my smoothy and just go.....a long walk is planned for this morning (DSO is out golfing with the guys this morning). Thank you.

    Weight loss.....I'll start tracking again when I get home. Monday morning will be my weigh in for the next round and I'm bound and determined that, as it will have been two weeks since my last WI, it will be significantly DOWN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what Sunshine said! You take care of 6 kids, your husband, and then post recipes that I might like on top of it all. You are amazing! I can't wait to try the muffins. I found millet flour, but that is different than what you use in the burgers, isn't it? I am think of whipping up some pancakes in a few minutes. I also got some fresh blueberries and cranberries to try the muffins. This cooking healthy and trying new things is very fun. I love most everything I make, Greg however doesn't like a lot of it. I think it's in his head! Ha! He tried my meatless sausage pattie yesterday and said it tasted like bird seed... a bit dramatic = ) We have fun with it though and I still make him steaks and chicken, but he will occasionally try something I'm eating. I think the pancakes might be his weakness. He loves pancakes.

    Thanks for always taking pictures of your food too, by the way. It helps seeing what it will turn out like. It sll looks delicious! Kiwi lover here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to hire you as my personal baker. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheap ASICS Shoes Tears ditch
    Peach tear groove lying silkworm and haggard, but different!Belstaff Jackets Relaxation of the lower eyelids so swollen eyes, Moncler Jackets a smaller size, "pressure" out of the fold isBeats By Dre

    ReplyDelete